What do I do if I am being sexually harassed? - Labour Law Blog

Labour Law Blog

Labour Law Blog - Keeping You Informed


Home Top Ad



Post Top Ad

Responsive Ads Here

Jan 14, 2015

What do I do if I am being sexually harassed?

What do I do if I am being sexually harassed?
random google image
  1. Tell the person who is harassing you that you object to his actions towards you and that you want him to stop;
  2. If the harassment continues despite the above, then tell your Human Resources Department or if you belong to a Union, tell your Union representative. It is always a good idea to put your complaint down in writing and to keep a copy of the written complaint for your own records. It is also always a good idea to keep proof of acknowledgement re the lodgment of the complaint aforesaid;
  3. Ensure that you keep all evidence of the harassment. This will be quite difficult especially in circumstances where the sexual harassment is of a sexual nature as it is most likely to happen when only you and the harasser are present. In these situations, make sure you tell a third party/trusted colleague who can give you the emotional support you need as soon as you can. This is because sexual harassment charges require corroboration and this is the only other way to provide it, apart from an independent third party witnessing the harassing act itself;
  4. Keep a written account of the harassment with as much detail as possible. The more clarity you can bring to the account, the better;
  5. Give your company a reasonable amount of time to do something about the matter; and
  6. If your company fails to take any action despite your complaint, then you may proceed to lodge a police report on the incident. You can also lodge a report with the Labour Department.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad