A Pleasant Experience In Exotic Borneo - Labour Law Blog

Latest

Jun 20, 2011

A Pleasant Experience In Exotic Borneo

Seumas Tan Nyap Tek*,
Advocate & Solicitor

During the recent school holidays, I took my family to Sandakan to experience what was themed as an “adventure tour of Exotic Borneo”. It was going to be a no frills kind of holiday with basic amenities. I had prepared my children to “rough” it out and be closer to nature. Before we left for Sandakan, many friends told us that Sandakan is like Kuala Lumpur, 30 years ago where life was more relaxed and things moved at a slower pace. They told me that most of the shops in Sandakan will be shut at 6.00pm and Sandakan town will then be a sleepy town. Though that was true, what really impressed me the most was the people. The people were genuinely friendly and when they help you, they do it sincerely.

We joined an adventure tour package organized by a Sandakan based company called S.I. Tours. Apparently, “S.I.” stands for “special interest” tours where the company specializes in all kinds of tours relating to adventure in Sandakan and the surrounding areas. We had a very knowledgeable nature tour guide called Leo who is a Malaysian of Filipino descent. He was very proud of the Company when he spoke about his bosses. He related a story to us about how the owners (husband and wife team) made it from rags to riches. Leo told us that because the owners had experienced hardship in their lives at one time, therefore, they could relate and have a better understanding of the staffs’ welfare needs. Leo mentioned that some staff members were given loans to purchase their first house. The owners realized that having shelter, especially one that was your own, is a dream come true for many people. Therefore, the owners assisted the staff members to achieve that dream.

When my family and I visited the private jetty which S.I. Tours owned, I was surprised at the level of loyalty that the employees showed when talking about their bosses. As a customer, you will immediately know that there must be something special about the employers. The employees at the private jetty showed us some of the photographs taken at the various company functions. The first thing my wife and I noticed was that the bosses looked like very simple and humble people. No wonder the employees looked up to them as fine examples. Leo told me that most of the employees had worked there for many years for a very simple reason – they were treated well and with respect by the bosses. Therefore, the employees repaid their bosses by making sure that the Company’s customers were happy. I must say that I was certainly happy with the services rendered to me and my family.

We had a wonderful time in the Sukau rainforest, the Selingan Island, Guamantong Cave and the Sepilok orangutan sanctuary. Based on our itinerary, the last day of our stay in Sandakan involved a city tour and it was anticipated that the city tour would end at 12.30pm. Thereafter, we would be sent to the airport for our flight back to Kuala Lumpur at 7.00pm. Realizing that it was going to be a long wait in the airport, I asked Leo whether there were any other attractions in Sandakan that we could visit. Before he could reply, I suggested the crocodile farm that I saw on the way from the airport to the town. Leo said that could be an idea, though, not many tourists visited the farm as they normally like to see the animals in the wild. I informed him that I would gladly pay for the tickets as this was not in the itinerary given.

After a sumptuous buffet lunch at the Sabah Hotel, my family and I met up with Leo at the appointed time. Leo had been an excellent tour guide. He was patient, knowledgeable, helpful and guided us for the last 3 days. To show our appreciation, I gave him a tip. He was reluctant to accept it but I insisted that he take it as we truly appreciated his services in making the tour a fantastic one.

It was raining when we reached the crocodile farm. Leo immediately went to the ticket counter where he took out his wallet and wanted to pay for the tickets. When I saw that, I immediately ran towards the ticket counter and asked him to put his wallet back as I was the one who suggested visiting the crocodile farm and this was not included in the itinerary. Leo wanted to use the money I gave him to pay for the tickets. I told Leo that the money I gave him was for him to keep. Payment for tickets was a separate issue. Leo was embarrassed but nevertheless, he thanked me. I was impressed that there are still honest and sincere people around. Needless to say, we had a great time in Sandakan. I must also add that I am extremely proud of my kids – Ashley and Douglas for roughing it out there. As a matter a fact, they were the only kids in the Sukau Rainforest at that time.





*Seumas Tan practices in the area of Employment Law covering issues dealing with human resource matters. He practices under the name and style of Messrs S. Tan & Co. and may be contacted at Seumas@STanLawyers.com.my.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post Bottom Ad


http://www.labourlawbox.com/