Jul 25, 2014

Qatar Pledges Reforms In Migrant Labour Sector


QATAR, JUL 24 - Qatar has pledged for reforms facilitating the work and stay of migrant workers in the country. The Minister of Labour and Social Affairs, Abdullah Saleh Al Khulaifi, has said that the reforms were a stride towards the security and rights of the migrant workers.

Unveiling the proposal passed by his government, Khulaifi said Qatar has prioritised the safety, health, and rights of the workers. 

According to the proposal, the government of Qatar has made it mandatory for the increase in the size of living quarters of the workers to at least six square feet, in accordance to international standard. 

It has also incorporated a system through which migrant workers can register complaints on their own mother tongue via an electronic machine at the labour department. The decision has come as a huge sigh of relief for the migrant workers from various countries. 

Qatar has also pledged to construct camps with a capacity to hold 150,000 people at Sanaya and Baruwa cities, and has made a mandatory provision of providing one nurse for every 100 people. The number of supervisors has also been increased from 200 to 246.

“We have stepped up vigil to ensure the security of the migrants and have deputed more supervision officers for the purpose,” Khulaifa said. 

Qatar has also made it mandatory for the companies to deposit the salaries of the workers within seven days. The companies failing to do so will be liable for action.

Meanwhile, the labour ministry of Qatar has shut 33 websites for violating labour law. The ministry had found the companies violating the law when supervision was conducted on 4,335 sites in May and 5,083 sites in June. The ministry said the companies had been forcing the workers to work beyond the specified time in the summers. 

According to the regulations, companies cannot put labourers to work outdoors from June 15 to August 29.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

Popular Posts