Some Tips On Making A Customer Feel Comfortable - Labour Law Blog

Latest

Nov 16, 2010

Some Tips On Making A Customer Feel Comfortable

In this article, I am going to share with you 2 different experiences at 2 different places in relation to customer service. I will not represent myself as an expert in customer service but what I can do, though, is to relate to you my experiences with this “service providers” (if you can call them that). One was a popular fusion food outlet in Solaris Dutamas while the other was a physiotherapy and rehabilitation centre in AmpWalk, Ampang.

Let me relate to you my experience in the food outlet in Solaris Dutamas where I visited with my family one weekend. The first impression I got was that the food outlet was clean, nice décor and seemed to be orderly. To me, orderly means that the restaurant has a fixed menu with the food clearly listed and the price clearly indicated. Apart from that, the restaurant has a “push button” service where you can press a button for water, the bill or general service. That is very convenient and good for the customer. Feeling relaxed, I placed my order by ticking the food which I wanted, pressed the “push button” and was promptly attended to by the waiter.

The waiter took the sheet of paper from me and repeated my orders clearly. I acknowledged the items and the waiter left to process the order. Within 5 minutes, our drinks were promptly served. I was impressed with the prompt service. After the drinks, the food followed suit. Everything was on the table except for the “otak-otak” (curried fish paste). After 15 minutes, there was still no sign of our “otak-otak”. I pressed the “service” button and the waiter came to enquire. I asked the waiter about the “otak-otak” and he said he would check our order. After 10 minutes, the waiter did not show up. As a customer, I couldn’t help but feel annoyed. I saw a man walking pass and assumed he was the Head Waiter. I asked the Head Waiter if he could help us check our order. I also told him that if the “otak-otak” was not ready then to cancel it and give me the bill as we had been waiting for far too long. The Head Waiter just took the order sheet from me and walked away. I assumed that the Head Waiter was going to check on my order and get back to me. After 10 minutes there was no sign of the earlier waiter or the Head Waiter. However, I noticed that the Head Waiter was chatting away with the other waiters and waitresses. Imagine if you are one of the customers waiting for the waiter to “enlighten” you on your order but instead seeing that waiter chatting away without a care, I believe it doesn’t speak well for the food outlet when it comes to service. I walked to the Head Waiter and asked him “What happened?” The Head Waiter told me it will take another 10 minutes before the “otak-otak” will be ready. I commented that the least he could do was to inform me or at least keep me updated. The Head Waiter remained quiet and didn’t seem concerned or bothered.

As a customer, I wish to make a few comments on how to make the customer feel comfortable in a food outlet. I am not going to comment on the décor and the furnishings as they are too subjective and each person has his own preference. What I am going to comment is on the service. One, if any of the food listed in the menu is going to take longer time to cook, then kindly state that in the menu. There are certain restaurants that state this very clearly in their menus so that the customer can make an informed choice. Two, from my talks with the people in the food business, I understand that the rule of the thumb is that the food should not take longer than 10 minutes to prepare. The waiter or waitress should advise the customer if anything takes longer than 10 minutes to prepare. It is also a good practice that if for some unforeseen circumstances the food takes much longer than normal to prepare, the waiter or waitress should keep the customer posted. Most of the time, customers become irritated because they feel that they have been ignored. As long as they are kept posted and reassured by the waiters or waitresses, most customers will be understanding and rationale.

In my case, the Head Waiter or the waiter would have scored brownie points with me if they had said something like “Let me check on your order and I will get back to you immediately” or “I am sorry Sir, it looks like your order will take a little longer than expected, I will make sure that it will get to you within the next 10 minutes, I do apologise for the delay”. Just saying these few words or something similar would ease the tension and diffuse the situation.

In comparison, let me share with you my experience in a physiotherapy and rehabilitation centre in AmpWalk which I have been going to regularly for the last few months. On the advice of a Consultant Surgeon, I registered myself with a physiotherapy and rehabilitation centre called DBC Malaysia in AmpWalk (“the Centre”). It originated from Finland but the one in AmpWalk is a local outlet with some international flavour. The first day when I stepped in, I could feel the warmth of the staff in the Centre. I was promptly attended to by a physiologist. She assisted me in filling up a form and proposed an exercise and rehabilitation programme for me. Some of us may say that this is a normal affair or procedure in most fitness centres but to me, it is the positive projection and smiles from the staff that makes the difference. Keeping in mind that the Centre is not exactly a gym but rather a physiotherapy and rehabilitation centre, therefore most of the customers would require a lot of cheer and positive moral support.

When one enters the Centre, one can actually feel the genuine welcome from the staff when they wish you “Good morning” or when asked “How are you today?” I noticed that in the Centre, no one utters any negative words. I am not sure if there is a policy in the Centre that prohibits or discourages such words but whatever it is I think it is excellent! Most of the people who come to the Centre have some existing condition such as stroke, spinal challenges, etc. Therefore, it is only appropriate that the physiotherapists encourage the healing process by bringing in good cheer and changing the mindset of the customers from negative to positive. I hear words like “You are doing great!”, “Absolutely wonderful”, “You are doing much better than yesterday” and “You are getting fabulous and getting better everyday” been uttered generously everyday.

These may just be words but it definitely helps a lot in the healing process. To give you an example, there was this elderly gentleman who comes to the Centre quite regularly. I reckoned that he must have been a rather fit person before he got a stroke. He was frustrated, grumpy and basically complained about everything. However, the Physiotherapist attending to him did not give up and gave him encouragement all of the time. One day, a customer at the Centre commented to the elderly gentleman that he looked much better than when the customer first saw him. The physiotherapist explained that the elderly gentleman’s movements had improved tremendously and he could move on his own without much assistance. I could see the elderly gentleman’s face light up and he was smiling and he reminded me of a young boy opening up a big box of chocolates! Somehow, that “feel good” and positive feeling spread all over the Centre that day. Not only was I inspired but it made me feel great and accept myself for the way I am!

One can draw a contrast between the 2 places I mentioned – the food outlet and the Centre. Of course, one can always say that the 2 places are carrying out different businesses but the gist of it is that the customer must feel comfortable and accepted rather than ignored. Do you remember how you feel when you are in the company of a group of friends laughing and having a good time? It gives you that happy feeling, doesn’t it? Somehow the laughter melts away all the challenges you are facing at that time. If only all places could have that wonderful atmosphere, all of us then would be in a happier and positive mood.

1 comment:

  1. It's all about creating the right customer's expectations. Interesting observation on how little things matter to satisfy customers.

    ReplyDelete

Post Bottom Ad


http://www.labourlawbox.com/